The Marketing Mix: Promotion
Write a 4 page paper in which you respond to the following case question:
Select TWO products from the list of product categories below and using the teaching materials and any additional research explain what you think would be an approrpiate promotions strategy for both them. In doing so compare and contrast the two promotions strategies explaining why you think they would be similar or different.
Select TWO products from the following product categories:
- AIRLINE FLIGHTS
- CARBONATED SOFT DRINKS
- BREAKFAST CEREALS
- EXERCISE EQUIPMENT
Illustrate your answer by refering to specific brands within each of the two product categories you have chosen.
Ensure that you repeat the case question in full and verbatim on the title page of your submission.
Excluding your title and reference pages, your paper should be no more than four pages long. Please submit your case for grading by the end of this module.
In answering this case question aim to demonstrate your learning not only of the materials from MOD04, but also those from MOD01-03. Use information from the background readings and any good quality sources you can find. Cite all sources and provide a reference list at the end of the paper.
The following will be assessed:
- Your demonstrated understanding of the marketing concepts central to the case question.
- Your demonstrated understanding of factors related to the development of an effective promotions strategy through the analysis you conduct in the context of the case.
In particular one of your required readings on developing a promotional strategy at the marketing-made-simple.com website indicates that the following four factors are fundamental to the development of a promotions strategy:
- Segmentation – dividing the marketing into distinct groups
- Targeting – deciding which of these groups to communicate with, and how to talk to them
- Positioning – determining how you would like the product or brand to be perceived by the target groups
- Messaging – delivering a specific message in order to influence the target groups
and thus it is expected that you will demonstrate your understanding of these concepts and their relationship to the development of a promotions strategy in the context of your assignment.
The criteria used for assessment will be those explained on the MOD01 Home page, namely:
- Critical thinking.
- Effective and appropriate communication skills.