AT Device Evaluation
Conduct an evaluation of a commonly used AT device to assist students who have a specific learning disability using the Assistive Technology and Learning Disabilities article as a resource for this assignment.
Analyze three AT techniques/devices that address the same area of need (e.g., reading, writing, speech, math, hearing assistance, or vision assistance). For each device, address the following in your evaluation:
- Specifications: Identify and describe the price, how to purchase it, the licensing fee, required training, and additional required materials (software, apps, adapters, etc.).
- Audiences: Identify and describe the age, grade, or specific population for whom this technology would be most appropriate and explain why.
- Advantages/Disadvantages: Evaluate the three techniques/devices according to their advantages or disadvantages in addressing challenges within their areas of need.
- UDL Application: Explain how it can applied individually or class-wide as a UDL tool, and if it can also be used from home (is it transportable?).
- Complete a cost/benefit analysis to compare and contrast all three devices—make sure to include any additional purchases needed for this device (such as apps for an iPad).
- What are the pros and cons of each AT device?
- How could each device be improved to make it appeal to a wider population?
- If you had to suggest just one device to your administrator for purchase, which would it be and why? Consider factors such as AT for an individual and a whole class/school?
- How would you design an evaluation to determine the effectiveness of each device over one school year?
Your evaluation should be four to six pages in length, excluding title and reference pages, or you may choose to create a PowerPoint or Prezi presentation that is 20 to 25 slides. Your assignment must be in APA format and use at least two scholarly sources in addition to the course text.