Food security means that everyone has an adequate amount of nutritious food to lead healthy lives. You can consider this concept for individuals, for families, for countries, and for the entire human population.
- How well is the United States doing in reaching the goal of food security?
- Can it provide food security to all people around the world?
- Why or why not?
- What are some things that could be done to reach this goal?
- Think both in terms of growing and distributing food, technology, and global food trade.
Choose one of the foods that you have in your kitchen, fridge, or pantry.
- Where is this food item grown or raised?
- How far has it traveled to get to your home state?
- Read the article in the Web Resources about the Eat Local Initiative by Sarah DeWeerdt, Is Local Food Better?
- Taking into consideration both benefits and drawbacks, do you think it is it best to buy the food item you chose from a local or from an imported source?
- Explain your position.
For assistance with your assignment, please use your text, Web resources, and all course materials.